We interrupt this blog for an important message regarding Facebook
Those of you who follow us chattering classes and our continued hand-wringing over technology might have noticed a lot of us bitching lately about Facebook. You might have heard us chatterers throwing around terms like “organic reach” and “filtered feeds” and “social media extortion.” I just wrote a very long post explaining all this shit, but then I decided to delete it because none of it is really all that interesting. If you want all the gory details, read this. Or better yet, watch this video.
Bottom line, here’s what’s happening: If you’ve “Liked” our Facebook page, you now have only about a 7% chance of seeing any of our Facebook posts. This is because Facebook has decided that content from pages you’ve liked is somehow less relevant or “spammier” than posts from your friends.
So if you like our posts and want to keep seeing them, there are a couple of things you can do:
1. Follow us on something other than Facebook. Options here include:
- Our RSS feed (old-school, but reliable)
- The “Follow” feature on WordPress (only works if you have a WordPress account…but it only takes about two seconds to create one)
- Twitter (for now, this is the only other way to get our awesome #WeirdoftheDay posts…but thanks to Facebook’s nefarious ways, we’re considering posting them on the blog, as well, where more folks can actually see them)
2. Like or, better yet, share our Facebook posts. You might have to hit our page directly to see our posts in the first place, but the more “Likes” and “Shares” they get, the more they’ll actually start to appear in our other readers’ news feeds.
We will, of course, continue to strive to bring you content that’s actually worth liking and sharing and whatnot. If we start sucking, we deserve to have our posts buried. Who knows, maybe that’s what’s already been happening. But I don’t think so. I just think Facebook is being a dick.
As always, Jake and I humbly thank you for reading. More weirdness coming your way very soon.