As of today, 5.23 million people live in Sydney, which is home to the iconic Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House. Most people in Sydney enjoy living in this bustling town, and they do not think much about what goes on in their electrical wiring. After all, it is hidden beneath the walls.
If you live in this cosmopolitan capital of New South Wales in the Land Down Under, it is time to take this issue seriously. The Australian Government is very conscientious about fire prevention in urban communities like Sydney because wild bush fires are already ravaging the entire country itself. As such, homes are expected to comply with building codes and fire safety regulations to prevent problems.
When you analyse the situation, every time you turn on the switch of your lights, iron, or fan, you are getting power from your electrical wiring. If your wiring is old and damaged, this can result in significant issues like a short circuit and a fire. If you don’t take any action, you are setting yourself up for a disaster. It would be a nightmare to lose your property and belongings to a raging inferno. As a homeowner in Sydney, make sure that your electrical wiring is up to standard. Here are red flags and warning signs that exhibit you need electrical services in Sydney to prevent accidents and deter fires.
Look Out for Damage and Frayed Wiring
It is normal for wires in your Sydney home to fray and become damaged due to corrosion, bending, or heating as the days go by. At times, these wires can be pierced with nails or screws or rodents can gnaw on them. If you have a pest infestation in your home, check all the visible wiring to ensure there is no damage. Should you suspect that your home has faulty wiring beneath the walls, it is time for a professional inspection.
Note Switches that Tingle
When you touch your switches, and you feel a slight tingle, that is an indicator that your wiring has gone bad. This means the wire in the circuit is faulty, and it emanates onto the conduit where the wires are enclosed. In this scenario, do not take any chances and call electrical services in Sydney to have your switch and wires repaired.
Pay Attention to Power that Trips
When your circuit breakers and fuses continuously trip, then that’s a huge red flag that something is wrong. Your breakers and fuses protect your home from blowouts and tripping. When the electrical supply trips, there are two reasons. One is an overloaded circuit with too many plugged devices. Second is a damaged fuse and circuit breaker. Try decreasing the load by unplugging non-essentials. If your power continues to trip, that is a sign of a short circuit that needs immediate attention.
Watch Out for Discoloured Outlets and Switches
The discolouration is a huge warning flag because it means that there is too much heat surrounding the area. You need electrical services right away to iron out the faulty circuit and loose connection. Replacing the switch and outlet covers are not enough because the damage is not just superficial, but it involves your wiring. In this scenario, you need the help of a professional before the situation escalates.
Check for Lights that Dim
Does your lighting for your house dim when you turn on your microwave or hairdryer? This is a sign that your house needs wiring or circuit repair or replacement. The dimming lights show that you are overloading your circuit and it cannot cope with the load upsurge. Under normal circumstances, this should not even be an issue. But when you’ve got faulty wiring, things literally go haywire.
Smoke coming from an electrical outlet or appliance and burning smell are definitive signs of trouble. You don’t want to reach this dangerous point. When this occurs, turn off your main power switch to prevent further damage. The responsible thing to do if you feel like something is amiss in your electrical wiring in Sydney is to call in a reputable electrician to address the problem. Don’t wait before it is too late because you will risk not just your property but the life of the people you love.